Re: [Harp-L] Re:THM's

Gary,
I shall respond to this fairly.
The reason I made so many of these mics is because there was a need for
them as there's so many amps that had no low end and these elements had high
output and big low end.   Many harpers were tired of the shrill tone from
even a good CM, CR, crystal and ceramic with the amps they're using and when
the emails come in I make a mic.  You know how it is......someone wants
something then you make it for them.  Also, no builder has ever done what I
have done with this kind of element and to me it's more of a "prove the
naysayers wrong" because I can.
I've got a customer who uses my A1 mic with your amp and he doesn't want to
use anything else.  How he sets it up is beyond me.   Me personally, I like
low end and all the bright grind I can get and it all depends on the amp
being used.

I know we've had our moments in the past few years, but I call a spade a
spade and I will admit your amp has big low end and adding more low end from
a mic is not needed UNLESS someone wants it.   I always keep a White Label
CR  GB in my case for the sheer grind it has, one of the A1 mics for the low
end and one certain AND RARE Shure stick mic that's in the 5 series that's
hotter than the 533, 544, 545, 565, 585 or a 575 that Big Walter used from
time to time.  I will never tell what that is. :)

Just for the record, I've built mics with every kind of mic element known
that's hot for harp and I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO WHICH INCLUDES my stock of
hot crystals, ceramics, cm's and the rare CR if the price is right.
So, all the mics I've built aren't just using the A1 element.

I almost always ask the customer what amp he or she is playing and what tone
they are looking for and there has been numerous times that I've recommended
a hot CM with the amp they're playing.

Anyway, I'm getting a little tired of building mics because the profit
margin to what I make at my job is about equal, however, since I'm the new
shop boss for 150 electricians I have at my disposal the time and tools to
make whatever kind of custom mic shell one's creative mind can conjure up
and I can start building my own amp chassis in whatever shape I want as
well.
And with Big Al Blake's old childhood buddy, Loren, owning a custom cabinet
shop in Laguna Beach,  I can have  the coolest amp cabinets like the old
days of Magnatone etc.  and then building the circuitry is easy if I choose
to do so....again profit determines that.

Anyway, there's factors in buying a mic or amp and if my mics don't sound
good with your amps then maybe you should add some brightness in the tone
circuit and then we're all in harmony. ;)  I knew you'd like that.

sincerely, Dr of Fat.