Subject: Re: [Harp-L] announce: jason ricci and new blood list

Otto:

While Garry is providing a very nice service to those fans of Jason Ricci,
it in no way should preclude Jason's 'removal' from mention  on harp-l, given
that he has long been a member of this list.

 I haven't noticed you complain when other harp-l people blow their  own horn
about their self-described "accomplishments" ad infinitum here...going  on
and on about how wonderfully they play or have played, talking about their  past
"glories" as well, something Jason's never done.

Jason no longer posts here for reasons I won't go into.  Suffice it to  say
that many of us are fully aware what lay behind us no longer being privy to
the wealth of practical information he used to provide on harp-l, though he
still writes and gives good, solid practical information to up and coming
musicians on his website.  Here's a link for those who might be  interested:

_Click  here: Myspace.com Blogs - Stay In College! (guide to proactive, mid
level,  success in the music business for most bands)_
(http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=45122033&blogID=321413243)

Jason has been a long-time member of harp-l, and has earned the respect and
love of hundreds of friends in this community and on this list.  Ergo it
stands to reason there are those of us who feel inordinately proud to have one  of
"us" be written up in Blues publications and noticed by  outside sources as
being as brilliant and talented a harmonica player as he  is.  This IS
Harp-L....a Harmonica list.  He IS a Harmonica  player.  What makes talking about him
here, any different than talking  about Rod Piazza, Charlie Musselwhite, Paul
Delay, Bob Dylan (a recent very long  thread)?

Since you seem to have a particular issue with mentions of Jason in
particular, it would seem, wouldn't it, that ..based on the subject  line, you'd find
it a reasonably simple matter to skip over or delete  those posts...or, if you
get the list in digest form...scroll down quickly so as  not to "have to
read" those "raving reports" you seem to so disdain?   What's the difficulty?

I'm quite curious as to why such a comment was necessary at all?

Would you prefer the list be made up of only negative or  nasty comments
about harmonica players and/or their videos?   There certainly are enough of those
to go around.  Frankly, I find  myself skipping past the most egregious of
those lately, since they leave a bad  taste.

For my part, I prefer the idea of promoting those who are connected with
this list and who are especially worthwhile.....  Or perhaps you'd prefer  we
only rave about someone after they've died?  We've certainly lost  several
brilliant players in the recent past.  I'd rather praise the ones I  care about
while they're here to appreciate being praised for the pleasure they  bring to
others.  One would think the recent losses of Gary Primich and  Paul DeLay would
have made some people think twice about their constant  negativity.

No one is suggesting unearned praise for any musician.  But unearned
criticism is a terrible thing...a cudgel some folks wield out of jealousy and
resentment, and usually for no other reason, no matter who it's directed  towards.

As far as I'm concerned, as a harp-l member, it is my right and privilege  to
continue to review another harp-l member's CD's and to promote their  videos,
concerts and shows whenever I see and/or attend such.  If I'm  mistaken in
that belief, I believe it is up to the listowner to inform the  membership of
what's proper or not, not another list member.

Elizabeth

"Message: 6