Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Get a career!

Brad:  I just recently saw a video I think was from the previous  Rockers in
the Rockies seminar (not sure) - on the Rockers myspace  page ...probably as
they were finishing up...with Michael, Jason and Chris  Michalek rocking out
for their students.  Michael really lets loose to a  very appreciative audience,
proving your statement, below.  I hadn't seen  (heard) him let his hair down
quite this way before ;)

P.S. No..All Persian cats aren't dumb!  My first cat was a red Persian  who
was one of my most intelligent kitties, ever. <G>

Elizabeth
**********************
"It sounds like she was drunk;  She fixated on your shirt;  She  had
nothing real to say beyond that;
It's up to you to decide what  constitutes a career for yourself,
right?
I've never heard you play, but  around Austin, people use words like
"genius" and "unbelievable!" when they  describe your playing.
So, maybe she's a genius at drinking and seeing  shirts.
Tell her you love her, but from a distance... and go right on  making
your own career.
Brad Trainham

P.S.
She's probably  related to the girl/girls who get drunk at some of my
gigs... and come ask me  what I think they look like.
(I'm blind... and hence, a novelty to  them.)
Nice perfume, but dumb as a Persian cat!!
Don't share that with her  lest she perchance hath long fingernails...
Whew!!  Too Much  Coffee!!
Brad Trainham
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 07:42:58 -0700 (PDT),  you wrote:

>Last night I played Antones in Austin.  My band  Sick's Pack (checkout
myspace for Sick'spack and/or Spyder the drummer for  samples) played and for a
portion of the show, we backed up a burlesque  show.  The leader of the burlesque
troupe is Sick's girlfriend, so we have  often double billed with them, but
this is the first time we've backed them up  except for one song.  Anyway, the
show went great, about 400 people  there.  (All for the headlining band, MArch
4th, but that's what opening is  about)

>  Before the dancers came on stage, I  wore a button down shirt.  When they
arrived I took off the top shirt to  reveal a Rolling Stones t-shirt, all
black backround with a huge tongue all over  the front, the better to suggest
ogling the dancers.

>  Walking home I passed by a 21 year old (estimate) woman who  seemed
slightly inebriated, but certainly capable of holding a conversation,  which went
like this;

>  Her: Why do you have a  giant mouth on your shirt?
>
>  Me:  Well,  first, it is a Rolling Stones, the band, t-shirt.  Next, I was
playing  music backing up a burlesque show.  Do you know what a burlesque
show  is?

>  She:No.
>
>  Me:  Well, it's essentially strippers, but they're  theatrical with humor,
it has roots in vaudeville.

>  She:  Why don't you get a career?
>
>  Me: (Shocked into the not able to form the proper arguments quick  enough
state) Playing music is not a career?

>   She: For a BURLESQUE show?
>
>  Me: Well, why  isn't it a career?
>
>  She: Because it is not a  career.
>
>  At this point I walked away.  I  have since argued with in in my head.
First, intellectually I know not to  take it personally because it is her story
she is telling, not mine.   Emotionally, I feel angry that she has the nerve
to make assumptions and judge  me on the assumptions.
>  I inferred that she assumed that was my  only gig.  Then she saw it as
either not serious work or morally  wrong.  I extended her comments to not just
be about burlesque  musicians,but musicians in general.  This went straight to
one of my big  buttons.  I can't tell you how often someone will ask me what I
do and then  say, "but what do you do for a LIVING?"  So Blah.