Re: [Harp-L] Tongue Blocking_Volume and Bend Control

>On Oct 28, 2007, at 3:01 PM, Tony Renshaw wrote:

I am a recent convert to tongue blocking.......

Hi Tony,

I've never been a big fan of the cold turkey approach, when it come's to switching from lip pursing to TB'ing.
I say, don't toss all the good things you've picked up already as a lip purser, Better yet, keep all that stuff, and
incorporate TB'ing into whatever it is you're already doing. A good way to begin is to start TB'ing the 6 blow
most of the time. Generally speaking, especially on higher keyed harps, the 6 blow sounds better tongue blocked.
Once you get that down, add the 4 and 5 holes, and start blocking those. As far as bends, look at them as a work in
progress, and keep in mind, it may take quite a while until they get into the same league as your pursed bends.
I know from experience, it takes a while.

Another option is to be a mixed player. A great example of a mixed player, who fills his stuff with TB effects is Ronnie
Shellist. He's not a full time TBer, but nobody would ever listen to him and say that's he's missing anything in the technique
department. I've also heard a rumor that Jerry Portnoy has recently started pursing the bends on the lower end of the harp, and that
Annie Rains has as well. Maybe other list members can verify that info, as I heard it second hand....

Mark