Re: [Harp-L] Re: How much do you need to hear yourself while gigging?

Hey all,

 Whew! I am glad to hear it is not only me that needs to hear oneself
clearly. I thought maybe ya got soooo good at some point  one  could just know what
you were playing without having to hear it. Although I imagine that would leave
a lot to be desired  and  unsatisfying to almost any harp player. It is a
huge relief to know that when I walk away from a gig that I could not hear myself
clearly, it is not my playing that leaves this disturbed, useless, inadequate
view of myself. (I tend to be hard on myself). When I can't hear myself
clearly I do fall into the trap of blowing and sucking harder. Any subtleties of my
style are lost and I "search" way too much for what to play. When I can hear
myself I "know"  and can "feel" what to play next.

Soooo, my next gig if I have to squat down or stand next to my amp on a chair
with my ear right next to it  to hear myself clearly, I will. Thanks to this
list I know it is not just me. And that is big.

                             Best to all,

                                          Chris Mastakas