[Harp-L] Speaking of Volume...A Cruncher Saturday Night!

I had a gig Saturday night that I was dreading before hand. I walked off a
gig on these guys a few months ago because I couldn't hear my self at all.
These guys just can't conceive of a playing level on anything but "10". When
I got the call last week I took the gig for two reasons: 1) I am broke :-)
and 2) I now have a Cruncher. This was pretty much straight rock and roll
full tilt. Led Zep, The Who, Queen, Stevie Ray, Creedence, Stones, Beatles
etc. Well my first stop before arriving at the gig was to the local CVS for
some fresh ear plugs so I wouldn't kill my brain. When I got to the gig the
guys were treating me with kid gloves. They knew that if I got frustrated I
would just pack up and go home. They wanted to be as accommodating as
possible and set me up however I needed to be comfortable. They also brought
an extra monitor for me alone so we could mic the amp I was using and I
could hear it better. I told them that I wouldn't need to be mic'ed because
I got a new amp. I went out to the car and brought in the Cruncher. The amp
looks so cool the initial reactions are usually the same; "boy that looks
sweet". I used the line out so I would be in the PA and through the monitors
as well as the amp in order to create a better balance in the overall sound.
The band is a 3 piece (Drums, Bass, Guitar). They wanted me in the middle so
I set my amp up to the left of the bass drum. I am still working on dialing
in my favorite settings but did the basics to get a nice tone and roar from
the 2 8's and the 12 via the amp. The guitar player to my right was as loud
as ever (God bless his wayward soul!) and I was happy to have some extra
monitor in my face to compete. The Cruncher was putting out some major
volume but still lagged a bit behind this guys Fender whatever it was much
less a hard drummer and heavy bass behind and to my left. So after the sound
check I put in the ear plugs and get ready to feel as little crappy as
possible. It's amazing sometimes what we put ourselves through to make a few
bucks! So we start the first set and of course it is one big wall of sound.
I was not thrilled but quickly I could tell that I was going to be able to
"keep up" with out "packing up". The Cruncher was a ball of fire I tell ya
and it sounded great. I had it cranked pretty high as I had to compete with
the "band" (what a sad concept huh?) So the first set was a long one, about
an hour and 15 minutes. I was actually having some fun and was at a low
frustration level considering the situation. Many of the tunes I had never
attempted or heard before so it was an enjoyable adventure/challenge making
the harp fit in especially because in times past by now I would have already
started my "cry baby" act and packing up to go home. It was during the first
break that a monumental occurrence happened. Imagine this if you will. The
drummer walks up to me and says, holy shit that amp is incredible. I can't
believe the growl and roar you are getting out of it but can you do me a
favor. Could you please move it further back and more to my left because I
am having trouble hearing anything else! There is so much sound coming from
the back of that thing I can't hear myself think! I couldn't help but smile
and offer him some comforting words. First off, of course I will move the
amp for you, my pleasure. Then I said, just go grab a beer and stop crying,
this is rock and roll you big baby!

Ah the sweet smell of victory. It only took me 30 years to finally get up
off of the canvas and find a way to fight back in the "street fight" of
barroom musical lunacy. Over all I will still prefer to play acoustic style
stuff, most of the time. I just don't think I can handle cry baby drummers
very much. They really are a drag to deal with. I mean, I only play music to
feel good, have fun and express myself. I have no interest in dealing with
other peoples volume issues.

Warren Bee

PS: The high volume didn't help the audience grow at all. The crowd got
thinner and thinner as the night went on. I knew the deal but I really
didn't care. It was the bands "ball" and I wanted to be on the field and off
of the bench. At the end of the night I got paid and started to head home
happy that this wasn't "my" band. Actually I stopped at a club on the way
home and an acoustic/electric band was wrapping up their last set. They
slowly kicked into "Like a Rolling Stone" and I couldn't control myself and
had to pull a "Gus" and ask if I could blow a little harp with them. They
said yes and I ran to the car for my harp case. This was at 2:00 am when the
music was supposed to be ending. I was just going to squeak in for the last
tune. NY bars don't have to close until 4:00 am. It was about 3:30 am when
we finally got shut down! These guys really dug my harp and didn't want to
stop playing, so they didn't. What a great feeling to finally drive home and
feel great! Not a crappy feeling bone in my body. Two "victories" in one
night, a double header sweep!