Re: [Harp-L] Robert Lighthouse

Never heard of this bloke before. Frankly (my taste strictly a qualifier here) the best thing I have heard to come out of the US in years. He's doing the blues thing (Doc Ross, Hooker etc.) but sounds like himself, plus he's doing his own stuff as well I'd say; sounds vaguely like Hendrix at times (not talking about the freak-out guitar aspect here, but more the gentle, Curtis Mayfield influenced Hendrix (I see at a second glance this comparison is made in reviews on the website) Also the vocal/songwriting is reminiscent of Jimi at times too, to my ears. I dig his guitar playing and the harp too; sounds like music to me.
I hear very little contemporary recording I like enough to shell out $$ for, but I think I'll make an exception in this case.
Thanks for the heads up Joe.
RD

>>> Joe <galicic@xxxxxxxxxxx> 31/10/2007 10:13 >>>
I've caught Robert Lighthouse busking in N.W. Washington DC several nights in
a row on my way home at the DuPont Circle metro station.  Looking mighty
rough and ragged but sounding great.  He was siting on top of an old amp
blowing rack mounted harp and playing an old guitar.  He gets some great tone
out of the rack mounted harp!  I threw him a couple bucks.  He has been there
four nights now.  Check him out if you can.  He's the real deal.

http://www.robertlighthouse.com/