RE: [Harp-L] Tongue Blocking_Volume and Bend Control

Tony Renshaw asked about TB volume and bend control.

My opinion is that volume and bend control are related. If you are
"fighting" the natural resonant frequency of the configuration of your oral
cavity and airways for any particular bend, volume, tone, and bend control
all suffer.

One huge help for me on my TB quest has been to practice on different key
harps. This is also a good idea with any other embouchure, but in my
experience it's even more important when learning to TB. I know it showed me
a light at the end of the long, dark TB learning curve "tunnel."

As an eample, if you are having trouble controlling bends on a given harp,
try bendng the same holes on others that are a key or two (3?) higher or
lower in pitch. If you find, as I did, that you are better able to achieve
and control bends on higher or lower key harps, that will give you a strong
suggestion as to how you need to adjust your technique on the harp you are
having difficulty with (i.e., by adjusting the volume of your oral cavity
and/or how far you move the back of your tongue to one side and/or the
extent to which you open up the back of your throat - the 3 major components
of TB'ing).

Would've saved me months of frustration had I thought of it sooner than I
did. I would get stuck doggedly pursuing my TB technique on the harp I have
handiest. Don't knock yourself or your harps out by stubbornly staying with
one key. If you hit a brick wall, try a lower or higher keyed harp!

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Michelle