Re: [Harp-L] Blues scale vs. Pentatonic scale

Deja vu all over again...

Rex

On Oct 30, 2007, at 7:59 PM, Robert Vivona wrote:

If I understand it rightly, the blues scale is: I + III b + IV + V b + V + VII b

and the pentatonic scale which, according to David Harp, is most commonly
used for country/western is:
I + II + III + V + VI

The scale you have written is the major pentatonic scale. The guitar players
are talking about the minor pentatonic scale which is I + III b + IV + V +
VII b. If you notice, there is only one note added to this scale (V b) to
get the blues scale. The minor pentatonic scale is a staple in blues playing
(by both guitar players and harp players).

Hope this helps,
Bob