Re: [Harp-L] Blues scale vs. Pentatonic scale

In a message dated 10/30/2007 11:32:54 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gbuxman@xxxxxxxxx writes:

That  does help. I guess my confussion was based in the book's total omission
of  the *Minor* pentatonic scale.

I agree that the pentatonic scale is not  limited to country/western; the
signature riff in "My Girl" is a classic  example of the pentatonic scale in
an R&B tune.

A scale is just a sequence of tones based on a formula. Scales are not
music. It is up to you to choose which notes to use in your own self expression.
Scales are a tool, giving you some good choices. The riff of MY GIRL is a great
 "melody" or musical idea. It just so happens to contain the notes of a
pentatonic scale. Playing these notes as a scale will not yield you a great
melody.

The Iceman