[Harp-L] Blues scales

Seems to me Michael's "major" blues scale can be thought of in relation to the major pentatonic scale.

  The C major pent:
  C D E G A C
  1 2  3  5 6  8

  The C "major" blues scale:
  C D Eb E G A C
  1 2  3b  3 5  6 8

  Although I have never seen this scale talked about before, I most definitely have played it.  I often tell my students the blues is a mixture of the blues and the major scale.

  Anyway, cool stuff.  My question: when does a scale concept become part of the popular consciousness?  Michael says there is more than one blues scale.  Most of us on the list seem to be stating they had never heard of this before.  Can we really call it a blues scale?
  If I were to ask Michael to play the blues scale, would he be correct in asking back, "which one?"  Or would he be stirring up trouble?  Since most people know the blues scale as
  1 3b 4 5b 5 7b 8,  shouldn't he just play that?

  If someone says to me "play the minor scale" do I ask which one, or assume the natural minor (aeolian)?

  I don't really have an opinion on this, I think all theory is worth passing along to your fellow musicians.  I'm just stirring up trouble.
  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com