[Harp-L] cover-plates

Glenn asks (of Vern, but since I know as well):

"I'm hearing that chrome-plated steel is most common for Hohners and Lee Oskars. Do you agree?"

Possibly. Traditionally Hohner has used nickel-plated mild steel, lately switching to chrome plating. Last I knew (and still, according to their website) Lee Oskars have stainless steel cover plates, no coating or plating involved. I think it would be easy enough to email both Hohner (or better yet, the always helpful people at Hohner USA) and Lee Oskar to ask them directly and hopefully get the most accurate and up-to-date information about all their models. I'd bet they'd be fairly responsive time-wise if this is going to be in a published article or book.

http://www.leeoskar.com/

http://www.hohnerusa.com/

Their email address is:

webinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Other companies may use other materials as well,of course. Hering's "Blues" line, for example, has brass cover-plates with three different finishes (a black of some sort, chrome-plating and gold- plated). Still others have used aluminum and then there's Suzuki's wood covered harps. Again, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer for the most accurate and up-to-date answers.

Of course you could just buy a few harps and see for yourself. That would probably be the most enjoyable way of finding out.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'