Re: [Harp-L] reed plate covers

Yup. I would say everything I've seen is steel. Should check my mausoleum, because I'm pretty sure I've got one old gasper with brass showing through, though I could be imagining things. Before the western economic system began it's spiralling decline, it used to be the norm for electroplating to begin with a layer of copper, so that the nickel or chromium could get a good conductive surface upon which to adhere. Doesn't happen anymore, unfortunately. Yet I don't know if this practice was common on harmonicas, even in the old days. Got quite a few oldies, and all steel covers and pretty thin plating I'd say, judging by the ferric oxide showing through.
RD

>>> fjm <bad_hat@xxxxxxxx> 1/11/2007 13:27 >>>
Everything I have is steel covers.  This includes a patent applied for
Marine Band which means it was made pre 1897. I have Hohners Pohls
Hotz's Kochs all of them have steel covers.  Those are mostly all pre
war.  I do have a fair bit of post war Hohner product from the 50's,
60's and 70's again all steel coverplates.  My comments are in regard to
Rick's post not Glenn's query.  fjm