Re: [Harp-L] SPAH Thoughts.....

Hi Killer Bee
I just want you to know that I think that you had a lot to do with what I think was maybe the best SPAH ever. People like you & all the other volunteers make the convention's what they are.
love you my friend
buzz....................

Warren Bee wrote:
Well it has been a busy week since Ol' Milwaukee. It seems that many others
that attended have also been busy or have just elected to not share their
thoughts. I know a few have and I really love reading other folks
perspectives, likes, dislikes etc. after an event that I have attended. I
also know that for folks that didn't attend it can old real fast. The last
thing I want to do is make "you shoulda been there" posts. I understand that
many just don't have the resources or the time to hit a lot of the festivals
/ conventions.

This year I will keep it brief. I will also not mention any names of
attendees. I dread the thought of hurting anybodies feelings. Let's just say
I love 'em all! I didn't hear a sour note all week. Everybody did their
thing and expressed themselves through there harps of choice. Of course
there were some stellar standouts but they know who they are :-)

These were the highlights for me:

1) My Blues for Breakfast Seminars went incredibly well. I think I may have
set a harmonica convention seminar record!  Almost 4 hours total of seminar
time and not one note was blown or drawn! The room was almost full both
days. One by one each person shared their harmonica journeys'. Where, when
and how they started and how playing blues harmonica has affected their
lives. The testimonies were incredible! All emotions were brought out, from
tears to laughter and everything in between. At times I felt like a
therapist running a group therapy meeting! We also had a great group
discussion about the process and emotional flow during the late night blues
jams. This was one of the most powerful and rewarding experience in all of
my harmonica life. I thank all that attended and "let their hair down".
Being folically challenged I did not have that option :-) * actually I must
clarify my initial point: there were notes played by the last person to
address the room on day #2. It was the guy who puts the entire harp in his
mouth backwards and plays the holes with his fingers! Oh my, that is one
technique I will avoid for a while :-)

2) I was honored to be asked to moderate the Charlie Musselwhite question
and answer session. The room was jammed chock full of people. Charlie was a
pleasure to hang with and he was very personable for the crowd. His stories
about the old days hanging around at Will Shades house with Little Walter
and Big Walter were awesome! Then he topped it all off with a great
performance Friday night! Memphis Charlie still has it goin' on baby!

3) The jams and the "hallway scene" were killer this year. Powerful,
spiritual and priceless! The hotel was real cool about everything 24 hours a
day. I was up 'til about 5:00 AM every morning and each time I hit the hay
the music was still flowing somewhere downstairs!

4) The "sandbox" was wonderful this year. Diatonics, Chromatics, Chords &
Basses all getting along just fine. I saw minimal attitude problems.
Actually it was way cool to see many "mixed" jams! Most all of the jams had
both chromatics and diatonics creating a spicy musical stew. Yes Rodney
King; we can all get along!

Thanks again to the SPAH folks and the Milwaukee club for all of your hard
work. My tank is full and I will try my best to conserve until my next "fill
up" in St Louis.

Peace, love and happy harpin'

WBee