Re: [Harp-L] Re: Prewar Marine Band question

Are you sure your bottom cover is postwar?

The six-pointed star was removed before the war started, sometime
around 1937. It was the anti-Jewish repression and hate-mongering of
the Hitler regime, which came to power in 1933, and not the start of
the war in '39, that motivated the removal of something that could be
perceived as a Jewish symbol. The "prewar" designation for this change
is misleading.

A star-less bottom cover could have been contemporary with a prewar top
cover, unless for some completely coincidental reason Hohner saw the
need to change the design of the top covers as well.

It may well be that your top and bottom covers are from different
periods, but presence or absence of the star alone cannot determine
this.

Winslow