[Harp-L] Toots the Soul of the Man

You know, all of this talk about his music, a story comes to mind. It was October 2001 at the Blue Note right after 9/11 and I swear you could smell the smoke from the WTC. The city was still recovering. Many musicians canceled their gigs. But not Toots Thielemnans. While going through his set (he did a lot form the Brazil Project) he told us a story from his youth.in Nazi occupied Belgium. The Nazis banned American jazz but there was one album that Toots played with his friends Louis Armstrong with the Mills Brothers. They use to sneak to some basement in a undisclosed location and listen and they would be swept away to a different place a better place. it got them trough it and Toots told the audience that he had to be here to help us get through it. He did an encore of "what a wonderful world and for a brief moment we forgot about 9/11 with the smoke and ruins still visible. Thank you Toots.
You know in my classical guitar playing days, I used to obsess about technique and my hands how strong how nimble until one wise teacher told me "Technique is not in your hands its in your mind and your heart" Many years later I realize how right he was.

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (3.1.0.14 - 9.099.011).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

E-mail message checked by PC Tools Spyware Doctor (5.0.0.187)
Database version: 5.08060
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/