[Harp-L] Pimp my Marine Band question

I think I already know the answer to this, but I want to ask it, cause you can take wood off, but not put it back on. I've got a mid 1930s Marine Band I'm doing a complete overhaul, in "Pimp My Ride" fashion. It was pretty nasty. Started on the draw plate today,  took all the reeds off and polished them, polished the plate to a mirror finish, put the reeds back on with those little Seydel reed bolts and German silver nuts. Looking sweet so far. Now, here's my question:
  The wood comb is swelled. I had some like that when I was a kid and I'd sand them down, then wake up one morning and find the comb teeth down inside the reedplates. I bought this one about three years ago and it's been dry at least since then.If I sand the comb teeth down, then put salad-bowl finish on it, I'm not going to run into problems later will I? I think I know the answer already, but it's one of those from that little period in the mid 1930s when they used a stouter comb and put an extra nail in each plate, I have to use this comb or make a new one on the bandsaw, so I don't want to screw this one up.

  Dave Payne

Dave Payne Sr.
Journalist and writer
1114 Charles St.