Re: [Harp-L] SPAH Convention Locations

Tom -

  It seems to me that weening the majority of members from long-standing tradition will always be a battle in whatever the organization does.  Perhaps these ideas should be tested in coming conventions and worked into the long-term plan.  We are always in a different location, so the logistics have to be worked out no matter where or when the convention takes place and every place will be different.

  It has always made sense to me to have the convention in the "middle" of the country so that it is equidistant from the coasts, yet, there are some pretty deserving towns that have thrown their hats in the ring (Sacramento, Louisville, New Orleans, to mention a few) and perhaps it's time to give those folks a chance to see what they can do.  Those members and their respective organizations should have an opportunity to bring SPAH home with them once in a while.  We have some very loyal and devoted members out there.

  As far as the date is concerned, I think everyone can see how younger members carried the day at this last convention in Milwaukee.  It is very important that we encourage these members to seize the reigns of this organization as time goes on.  That encouragement should begin while they are still school-age.  All organizations are built on transition and succession to the individuals of coming generations and we are no different.  We have to tap that life blood by making our organization available.

  LD Miller, Julian and even Pablo Fagundes got started on the harmonica without us.  Yet their individual impacts on our convention was profound.  The impact we could have by finding and encouraging young, aspiring harmonica players would have great benefit for the organization in the future.

  Along those lines, and at the risk of beating a dead horse, I think we should consider the prospect of a more sophisticated website to handle the changes these organizational changes will surely bring.  That in turn will make us more friendly to younger prospects who experience much of their extracurricular learning and socialization on the web.

  We owe it to ourselves to implement these changes in upcoming conventions and chart their impact.  When we determine what works and what doesn't, we can always go back to the original plan in that specific case.  Thanks for the opportunity to comment.

  Mark Russillo
  a.k.a. The Rhode Island Kid

Tom Stryker <tstryker@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  So many great cities to put on a SPAH Convention. Some points that must be
satisfied to have a convention in a particular city are:

1. A club or group of people in the selected city to prepare for the
meeting
2. An easily accessible location
3. Reasonable hotel facilities and room rates

SPAH itself does not have a full time convention person. All SPAH admin
people donate their time and most are employed full time. This makes it
imperative to have a local club or group do the required preparation.
Actually, the local people can do it better because they know the area best.
Watch how the Gateway Club in St.Louis do it. They are a "well oiled"
machine.

Airfares and room rates continue to be a struggle. Don't know how much
longer we can get the $89.00 rate and have a good facility.

Location is a great concern because of the above and long travel days.

SPAH is in the planning stage for the 2008 convention. The above concerns
are being addressed plus one other: Should the date be changed to an
earlier date in August to allow for the kids and teachers to attend? Our
date for the convention is the result of years of trial. On the other hand,
I know many would like to attend but cannot because of school.

What is your opinion on all of this?

Tom