[Harp-L] Popper-esque phenom

All respect to Kiley for his efforts.  3 points come to mind:

1.  Playing with your mouth.  So many blues harp players use their mouth, instead of their gut /diaphragm and glottus, to control their sound, and thus miss tone, depth and smoothness.

Seems to me that if one's mouth (save tongue!) is almost neutral as an air conduit, and one pushes the air from the bottom of one's gut (I mean diaphragm or even stomach), and shapes the airstream with one's throat (I mean glottus?), deeper tone and mellower vibrato can be achieved.

2. Kiley: Too many notes, man!  Kick back!  How can you pull soul through a note if it's zipping by at 32 to the bar?

3. Youtube is an amazing resource, thank goodness it's indexed and searchable else it would be impenetrable!

-Dave Fertig

ps: no, I don't get Popper, vive la difference!

"Emile D'Amico" <EDAmico@xxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Popper-esque phenom CC:harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 16:50:48 -0400 To:jonathan.f.hill@xxxxxxxxx                Plain Text Attachment     [  Scan and Save to Computer      ]

Lots of speed but lacking in the tone area.

Emile Diggs D'Amico

>>> "Jonathan Hill" <jonathan.f.hill@xxxxxxxxx> 09/06/07 10:04AM >>>
I searched through all my old harp-l messages for reference to this guy, but
didn't see any.

This kid's playing is very reminiscent of Popper, but he doesn't quite have
Popper's control yet.
I did like his jazzy version of Stairway to Heaven. Sounds like 3rd position
to me. My ears aren't
quick enough to discern whether he's doing any overblowing or not, so I'd be
curious to hear what
others think about that.

Anyhow, his name is Kiley Barter and here's his youtube page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Harmonicasex85