Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Popper-esque phenom

<EGS1217@xxxxxxx> 09/07/07 14:29 PM >>>
For what it's worth...when someone posts a YouTube video here...and then others join in to make comments (especially negative ones) about and or directly TO the person playing IN those videos...it's completely illogical and serves no real purpose if your intent is to "teach" the player just what he is doing 'wrong' (in your professional estimation, that is)....since he isn't
reading your comments.
The player in question isn't a member of Harp-L as far as anyone can determine...he put his videos on YouTube, not harp-l, and there is a place ON YouTube right there under each video for comment. While I still don't understand (and no one so far has satisfactorily been able to explain to me) the seeming necessity in the harmonica community of 'some' harmonica players (out of all other musicians) feeling the need to criticize other harmonica players, dissecting their videos negatively seems especially egregious (in my humble opinion). Did this young guy ask for your criticisms here?
As a matter of fact, one can not only post comments on YouTube, but even post VIDEO comments ..i.e. your own videos...perhaps to counteract his....show him just how it's done ... (somewhat akin to: putting your money where your mouth is?) ;) How about it? All those who make a negative comment...put your OWN video up as proof whereof you speak? I would most definitely be interested in seeing those! I'm sure I'd learn an awful lot from the comparisons of "right way vs. wrong way", since I'm a newbie diatonic player and need to know these important distinctions. Posting your dissection of his playing here strikes me as a bit unfair, since it smacks somewhat of gossiping behind someone's back...while the gossipee isn't aware he/she is being talked about so negatively. Whereas putting your comments right there on his site will at the very least allow him a counter response and serve to carry the courage of your convictions, n'est-ce-pas? Elizabeth
P.S. His specifically described "jazz" version of Stairway to Heaven (on
diatonic, no less)..seemed quite different and unusual enough to give a listen..and actually triggered an interest in me to try it on Chromatic....but in no way made me feel the song should be "left alone". Why? Who decides when and for how long a song should or should not be played? NOW we have "Rock song police"? Geez.

This is in NO way contradictory to anything anyone else has said and merely my personal feeling on the matter. Every one is entitled to their opinion(s) and I have read wonderful thoughts on both sides of the fence. They all make sense when viewed in the context that they were presented in.

I am no longer a religious person, but I DO have a sort of religion of my own. In my religion, it is a sin to cap on another musician. I can see where constructive criticism could be beneficial, and while I didn't really see anything DEstructive, I would pose the following scenario as a reason as to why I feel as I do.

Let's say I am a teenage boy and find myself at the Friday night dance. So, along with dancing with the girls, I also find myself hanging around the back of the fire hall parking lot with my friends and tossing down a couple quarts of Shaeffer beer. Maybe that evening I even get to ride a girl home and wind up with a kiss or ?

Now let's zoom in on another teenage boy who may be a little chubby. Maybe is bashful around girls. Maybe doesn't know how to dance. Maybe he can't (or doesn't know how to) get a date for the prom. He's a good boy and doesn't even drink. So, THIS boy is sitting in his room all alone playing his friend.....a harp.

We arrive in the future and while I am working in construction, this other boy winds up on TV. Question: Who am 'I' to feel bad about this.

See, here's the deal. We don't know how much time, effort, and dedication it take a musician to reach a certain level. Some get there faster than others. But it STILL takes time. These are the precious moments, (hours, days, weeks, months, years, decades, sic) of that persons life. These are moments that the person has invested and will NEVER get back. You can't RE spend time. Ergo, time becomes....LIFE....living breathing life.

So, in my opinion, to disparage the person is as much as saying "Your life ain't worth Jack Schytt".

In conclusion, I (myself) am guilty of having sinned in this way, so I'm not up here on a soap box being 'Mr Pure' either. My bad also.

smokey joe