Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 1998

In a message dated 9/7/2007 7:50:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Now  I remember the talent!  One of my fondest memories of SPAH is
standing by the door during Wilson's set.  Portnoy and Guyger had  to
go up with him at the end of it and were out in the atrium having  a
pre-show smoke, but they kept popping their heads in every  twenty
seconds or so to listen to Wilson, with this slack-jawed  look, before
shaking their heads and desperately lighting up again  to kill the
nerves.  I just loved that scene, as two of the  best in the world at
what they do (traditional electric blues) were  being amazed by
another one.  Just a great  memory.

Those that want a vicarious taste of the synergy and energy should order  the
SPAH 98 Blues Blow Off video, which I believe has been transferred to DVD.
Notice the crowd for the Blues Show - complete full house the whole evening -
young and old (you can tell by all the white hair). Also, a great number of
people from outside the show attended - at least an extra one hundred or more
(at $10 a pop). That Wednesday night, Rod Piazza was doing a  concert in
Ferndale, Michigan. Curtis Salgado and I drove out and passed out  flyers to
everyone waiting in line to get in the concert - a highlight was when  Curtis was
behind me and I handed a flyer to a harmonica fan. He saw that Curtis  was
appearing and said "Curtis is one of my favorite harmonica players. I'd sure  like
to see him some day." So I pulled Curtis from behind me and introduced him.
That fan just about fell over. We went around back of the theatre to put flyers
 on car windshields, and Rod and Honey were back there airing out before
their  set. When they saw Curtis, they said "What are you doing here?" and invited
us  in to the show, where they had Curtis up on stage singing with them. What
fun.  It's amazing that Curtis, with all his talent and ability, would agree
to go out  and help me pass out flyers. He's one of the really nice guys on
the circuit,  when you get to know him.

One of the most fun moments of the Thur. blues show was when Kim invited
Jerry Portnoy up at the end of his set - Jerry is obviously a little nervous -
his cell phone rang on stage and.....  well, you'll just have to watch the
video to see what happens.

Kim was contracted to play one 50 minute set. He had so much fun that he
played for about 1 1/2 hours. You can tell from this video how much electricity
and enjoyment was in the air, from both sides of the stage. There was a PA
sound  problem during one of Kim's slow blues songs - someone bumped into the
spring  reverb unit creating that rumbling noise. Kim, with an amused look on his
face  and not dropping a beat, added a line into the song referring to a
thunderstorm.  Only when artists of this caliber are truly enjoying themselves do
they roll  with these unprofessional punches with wit and humor.

Great back up band - formerly the rhythm section for Big Dave and the
Ultrasonics - one of the best bands ever to not break through - Ben Wilson, the
keyboard player, is now with John Popper. Jimmy Rasmussen, the bass player, is
now a stalwart of the Toronto blues scene. Nick Moss was imported from Chicago
to round out the talent.

The Iceman