  Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:24:37 EDT
  From: EGS1217@xxxxxxx
  Subject: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Popper-esque phenom
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Cc: martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx, drfertig@xxxxxxxxx

  For what it's worth...when someone posts a YouTube video here...and
   then
  others join in to make comments (especially negative ones) about and
    or directly
  TO the person playing IN those videos...it's completely  illogical  and

  serves no real purpose if your intent is to "teach" the  player just
   what he is
  doing 'wrong' (in your professional estimation, that  is)...since he
   isn't
  reading your comments.

  The player in question isn't a member of Harp-L as far as anyone can
  determine...he put his videos  on YouTube, not harp-l, and there is a
    place ON
  YouTube right there under each video for comment.   While I  still
   don't understand
  (and no one so far has satisfactorily been able to  explain to me) the
  seeming necessity in the harmonica community of 'some'  harmonica
   players (out of
  all other musicians) feeling the need to criticize  other harmonica
   players,
  dissecting their videos negatively seems  especially egregious (in my
   humble
  opinion).  Did this young guy ask for  your criticisms here?

  As a matter of fact, one can not only post comments on YouTube, but
   even
  post VIDEO comments ..i.e. your own videos...perhaps to counteract
   his...show
  him just how it's done ... (somewhat akin to: putting your money where
   your
  mouth is?)  ;)  How about it?  All those who make a negative
    comment...put your
  OWN video up as proof whereof you speak? I would most  definitely be
  interested in seeing those!  I'm sure I'd learn an awful lot  from the
   comparisons of
  "right way vs. wrong way", since I'm a  newbie diatonic player and need
   to know
  these important  distinctions.

  Posting your dissection of his playing here strikes me as a  bit
   unfair,
  since it smacks somewhat of gossiping behind  someone's back...while
   the gossipee
  isn't aware he/she is being talked about so  negatively.  Whereas
   putting your
  comments right there on his site will at  the very least allow him a
   counter
  response and serve to carry the  courage of your convictions,
   n'est-ce-pas?

  Elizabeth

  P.S.  His specifically described "jazz" version of Stairway to  Heaven
   (on
  diatonic, no less)..seemed quite different and unusual enough to give
  listen..and actually triggered an interest in me to try it on
   Chromatic...but  in no
  way made me feel the song should be "left alone".   Why?  Who decides
   when and
  for how long a song should or should  not be played?  NOW we have "Rock
   song
  police"? Geez.