[Harp-L] How many?

How many of us would be encouraged to play, even to excel at harp, while in the learning process, if all we heard were negative comments concerning our style of playing.

How about if we heard that someone somewhere had heard us play, and was spreading it around town that we "sucked", and that our style of playing "made them vomit"?

Apart from all of the praise and admiration I get at work, even from my superiors, and from their superiors, as well as many of the customers who happen upon me while playing, either in the men's room (great acoustics,,I've got to bring an H2 or H4 in there sometime), or in the aisles, when a tune comes on the PA that I happen to have a harp for (I usually carry at least two, if not four on me at all times,,D, Eb, E, and F),,,

apart from all the kids who grin when I play for them,,

apart from the customers who bring me CD's of their favorite harp player,,

apart from all the other employees who get a kick out of my playing,,

there's this one girl in the deli, a very LOUD girl, who tells me abruptly to "put that harmonica where the sun don't shine",,or that it makes her "vomit" whenever she hears my playing,,

I KNOW my playing isn't that bad. I've never had anything but return invitations when playing with any band, or artist I've played with.  I'm timely. I'm frugal. I know how to accompany tastefully. I wait my turn. I create good tone, exciting, steady and innovative licks, and have decent vibrato.

but she just can't stand harmonica, for some reason.

So I adjust, for her sake, and allow that somewhere in her past she may have been traumatized by a harmonica player, or some musician, or someone or something associated with music, or with harmonica in specific. I make accomodations for her, and avoid playing around her.

I've tried approaching her in jest, saying something like,,"Hey,,ya wanna hear a tune?", knowing what her response would be. Once while I was outside, and her hubby/boyfriend was dropping her off, I said, jokingly, "She always loves it when I play my harmonica". He responded by saying "You should make her a CD!", laughing. He obviously was aware of her distaste for the harmonica. His humor was refreshing.

She seems to be softening, compared to her strong attitude of disgust at first, and we banter and joust a bit when we see each other now. It's become a running gag, but I still wouldn't play if she were in earshot, out of respect for her feelings, right or wrong. I don't have to have that freedom in order to feel good about myself or my playing. There are enough of the others, who do appreciate my playing. I make it a bridge of introduction at times, and bring music into the store.

If everyone were like that girl,,I don't know if I'd really want to continue playing, at all. I mean, I'm not out to irritate, but to entertain. I'm having fun, I enjoy playing, and I'm hoping I can spread the fun.

I know I'm confident in my playing, at the level I play. I picked up my first harp in the mid-sixties. I know I can coax some good things out of my harp, no doubt.

but I also know that if there weren't so much support, all along the way, it may have turned out differently. Decent and palatable playing doesn't happen overnight. It takes time, and some encouragement, either internal, or external, or both.

As to youtube,,sure,,criticism helps, but mostly if it has an instructional element, a positive suggestion, and not just "eeeeeeuwww,,it makes me vomit,,". Or "did you hear that guy,,,he's creeepy",,,

To each his own, as far as taste is concerned. Chaqu'un son gout.

It's a big world. We really don't style police to tell us what we may or may not enjoy. We just need to know our options. That's what demonstrations, examples, exhibitions are for. Here's the real deal, as I see it. Like it or don't, and if you don't, that's fine too.

BL