Re: [Harp-L] how many

On Sep 10, 2007, at 9:53 AM, Michael Rubin wrote:

It is my opinion that as long as you are outdoors and no one else is on stage, blow your harp.

I'm big on mixing things up so my practice sessions don't get too monotonous or boring. I take it outdoors
all the time. I have one spot in a shopping center attached to the UCI campus where I practice 4 or 5 hours a week.
I bring a low Eb harp, and sit next to a fountain which drowns out the sound of the harmonica. Unless someone is right
next to me, they can't hear a thing. If someone walking by sees me, they'll usually smile. The small kids will walk right up
and stare, and I'll usually play something for them like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. The parents love it. Musicians quite
often come up and start a conversation. I've met several other harmonica players playing outside.

When I'm working on something specific, I usually do the grunt work at home, than take it out of the house once I get burned
out or start losing concentration. Once I get out, the fresh air, the people, and the new atmosphere get me going again..

Mark