[Harp-L] How many?

I work as a music therapist in a mental health center on a large
metropolitan hospital campus. Of course, like other harp players I'm often
tempted to play as I walk through the halls from unit to unit not only in
the mental health center but in the main hospital as well because there are
many architectural details here and there that really enhance the tone of
the harp. There's one especially nice area right outside the office of one
of the nuns [it's a Catholic hospital] where the ceiling is vaulted and
their are windows at the very top....great natural reverb. I always feel
like a kid trying to duck the principal when I indulge in this activity
because, obviously, it's a professional environment.

Last year I was shocked when I received my official written evaluation from
supervisor. She noted in the evaluation document how much my "hallway"
playing was appreciated by her and others. The aforementioned nun feels
slighted now when I don't play outside of her office.

As an intermediate player I always think, "These folks don't get out enough
for live entertainment!" It's amazing how people respond to "live" music
even or especially in the workplace.
All the best,
Jay

--