[Harp-L] RE criticisms

Yeah, I know... long thread. My 2 cents is, that we as harp players need to
appreciate anyone who takes up the harp at all. It's bad enough that we as
harp players, all have to face a stigma granted to us by a few others who
have gotten popular, and thereby put in the minds of the public what
harmonica playing is already supposed to sound like what they've already
heard on the pop radio.

If you don't like what somebody is playing on a harp - try to help them, if
possible - but don't just sit around ragging on them.

We get enough dirty looks from many other musicians, music store clerks, and
the likes when we *admit* to playing harmonica.

You should know what I am talking about.

Most folks think it's a toy, or that we just blow and draw chords, or play
really zippy - or worse, since we don't just play chords, or really fast,
that we must not know how to play.

It's astonishing to me, that those who are not offering their own work
publicly, are fit to criticize others harmonica playing publicly.

The only harp players I ever have a problem with are the ones who Gus at my
gigs. But even those guys have a degree of my appreciation because they have
the temerity to approach the band. And, we're all harp players, right?

Thanks.
myspace.com/choppatoola <http://www.myspace.com/choppatoola>