Re: [Harp-L] re: was how many? now encouragement

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe and Cass Leone" <leone@xxxxxxxx>

> Hi Bob, one of the reasons why there is such a high rate of drug &
> alcohol abuse as well as suicide among members of the entertainment
> community, is the effects that modern society has with it's instant
> messaging. Some entertainers are sensitive and have a high degree of
> creativity, but will still allow themselves to share themselves with
> the rest of us. Some put on a tough exterior but are lonely and even
> while putting on a tough exterior, they are still flesh & blood.

Flesh and blood. I sometimes forget that. People in entertainment seem so
"bigger than life" to us. They're promoted that way, and built up, for the
sake of marketing. Then they run around like these young people are,,(like I
did?),,and suddenly,,one of them is gone. I actually worry about some of
them,,especially the young girls. Britney Spears comes to mind.

Remember River Phoenix? He died of a drug overdose just outside Johnny Dep's
club, the Viper Room, in Hollywood. He was brought up in the same cult I
joined back in '70, where I met my wife. His family belonged to that group.
That's why his siblings have those names,,,Rain, Summer,
Liberty,,Joaquin,,(wait a minute,,Joaquin??). Another talented young life.

But musicians too. Singers, guitarists, harp players. Sometimes it just gets
to be too much. Not easy being out there all the time for people. You're
sharing yourself, even baring yourself at times. Many of the big names have
had on-going performance anxiety that approaches incapacitating paralysis.

I have my own way of hiding, when performing. I always wear shades. Blue
Blockers or Ray-Ban Wayfarers. I figure if they can't see my eyes, they
can't see me. I'm anonymous. The unknown harp player. No one knows my name,,

The way most house mikes and bandleaders are these days, when they announce
your name, it comes out muffled anyhoo. Robert Laughlin comes out "Robbe
Awfwinn"

But when I played harp in Huntington Beach with Joey Racano's band years
back, he just announced me as "Sweet Lips".

I worried that it would have an effect on my masculine reputation,,hahaha,,

Haha,,

He,,

This microphone on? tap tap,,