[Harp-L] Breathing and Microphones

So I finally got myself something of an amplified set-up: it's a good vocal
mic plugged into a little guitar practice amp I had lying around.  I've read
a little about playing amplified, and everything says to cup the ball of the
mic tightly into your hands, forming a seal with the microphone.  For
example, from Mike Will's Diatonic Harmonica Reference page: "The importance
of good cupping techniques cannot be overstated.  An air tight seal around
the harp, the microphone, and your mouth, is essential to achieve the fat,
full, big, round sound associated with traditional blues harp."  The problem
is that with such a seal, I'm just not able to pull in air like I usually do
for draw notes, and I'm gasping for breath by the end.  I know the problem
isn't with my breathing technique either: I've had formal training on two
woodwinds and years of martial arts at a school that emphasized correct
breathing technique.  I have a set of lungs on me.  So how can I form a good
seal while still getting good notes?  Thanks!

--
Carter