Re: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Temperments of other instruments

Chords on pianos are generally far more complex in overtones than
those on a harmonica.  In a piano, the strings are attached to a
sounding board that encourages other strings to contribute to the
overall tone being produced by vibrating at a sympathetic frequency,
which helps to mask disonnance between non-fundamental intervals.
Also, the piano tuner makes choices in tempering the tuning that help
to diminish the audible effect of the disonnance, by spreading the
compromises to intervals that are less likely to be used.  It's not
simply a matter of tuning the notes to mathematically derived
frequencies and calling it done.

-tim