[Harp-L] Instrument Tunings, and Tuners

I recall an article in the local newspaper (Orange County Register) years ago, following the views and practices of two of our local piano tuners, both very successful. One was a proponent of using "helps", or electronic instruments to tune. The other, a traditional technician and tuner, tuned only by ear, listening for the "beats". Both had a large clientele.

One served primarily residences, the other, concert halls and professional pianists.

The one using his ear only served the concert halls and professional musicians.

The one using the "helps" had a residential route. He had a laptop set up with a program to uniquely remember each piano he tuned, so that upon returning, he could just dial in the previous tuning, and fly through the job, with the help of his laptop.

But the guy who could "hear", by means of his ear only, he was considered very highly amongst concert pianists.

Each seemed to think his method was best.

Whatever works, I suppose.

BL