[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 49, Issue 30

In a message dated 9/17/2007 11:04:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jjthaden@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Once  they'd set the temperament octave in the middle of the instrument, the
tuners  I knew did not extend out from it by tuning perfect (or even
slow-rolling)  octaves (an exception was sometimes for the very lowest strings, where
they  might do it by listening for coincident partials).  Instead, they relied
on some tried-and-true "A/B"-type interval tests, with names like the
"3rd-10th test" and the "outside 6th-inside 3rd test",

The A/B interval tests are ways of checking how successful your setting of
the temperament was as you move away from the middle reference points. I would
use it after tuning the octaves as such. I would never use it as a substitute
 for tuning the octaves, as you can get some pretty weird sounding octaves
when  played as octaves this way. Tune the octaves, go back and check them with
the A/B test. If the A/B test fails, make an adjustment to the tempered area
and  retune the octave. Also, there is a little wiggle room within the octave,
so you  can adjust the A/B test slightly to improve it and still keep an
acceptable  octave (with a slow roll).

The Iceman