Re: [Harp-L] kickin' it up a notch

In a message dated 9/21/2007 12:49:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jkuzloski@xxxxxxxxx writes:

like I  said, it's not all about volume, some of it is just kicking to a
higher level  of overdrive.  The general consensus seems to be that overdrive
pedals  are not harp friendly.  Turning amp volume up will typically also kick up
the overdrive, but the amp may or may not be right there, and I don't
necessarily want to be tweaking the amp mid-song -- for performance/appearance
reasons I guess.

This is not a huge problem  because, like I said, the volume control and
playing adjustments work pretty  well.  I'm just wondering about others'
experience/approaches.  (Do  any pedals work well for this?  I have an EQ pedal that I
rarely use --  it has a gain and volume control on it -- I bet I could set
that a bit hot and  just step it on once in awhile.)

What I notice from the players I admire  - they have full presence  from
their amp (technique, equipment) within the musical situation. When not  soloing,
they breathe softly through the harmonica to create their sound/volume.  When
soloing, they simply notch up their breath support. What this translates  into
is way more soft breathing than not during the night.

So the issue may not be how to ramp up a notch for the solos as much as it
is how to back down most of the time in your accompaniment.

I've tried A/.B settings on amplifiers with a foot switch, volume controls
on the mic and have concluded over the years that the best control comes from
the breath - set everything so that you can be heard clearly when using full
supported breathing, but play mostly from an energy level two or three notches
 below.

The Iceman