[Harp-L] An Overblow Epiphany (not really)

Phil Eich writes:

>Instead of trying to get overblows to sound
>with good tone, just play the rest of the notes
>with crappy tone, and no one will be able to
>tell the difference.

You laugh, but Doug Tate advocated just such an approach (although not with specific application to overblows). His view was that people are less sensitive to the absolute quality of tone than they are to *variations* in the quality of tone. He therefore advocated playing the harp's strongest notes a little "less well" so that the weaker notes on the harp do not stand out.

He also advocated developing one's tone and all other aspects of one's playing and, indeed, one's musicianship as fully as one could manage. Crappy tone is crappy tone, and I think Doug, were he still with us, might approve of my advice, which is to develop one's overblow technique until the results are no longer crappy and if, despite diligent application, the effort comes to nothing to refrain from playing them, at least in public.

George