[Harp-L] Re: kickin' it up a notch

I'm mostly a lurker on harp-l but I like this topic: dynamics, technique,
and the use of equipment.  It's a good opportunity for an update...

First, I am not purist about anything.  If a peddle or an effect, a brand
of harmonica or a tuning creates a sound that makes the player (and the
audience) happy, go for it.  That said my current amplified set up pretty
classic: an original '60 bassman combo and a green bullet element in an
astatic casing because I like the volume control placed on the back, pinky
accessible.  I also use the Danecho peddle (probably too much) to soften
the tone a bit. That's background.

I love my mic volume control and use it ALL the time for playing
background and leads, using it to push the speakers slightly past feed
back while playing leads, kicking it back to phrase or play more in the
background.  I'll usually set the amplifier volume and tone for the room
and unless adjustments are needed, let it be.  I read a lot about stting
up an amp for harmonica.  I've found that a good, solid guitar amp,
usually tubes, is a good a good bet whether it's harmonica or guitar,

  That said, a great aspect of the harmonica is the control we can get by
how we breathe, no more technical than breathing softer or harder.
Dynamics from other players and especially bands is often the KEY
missing element.  What amazes me is that this is not a "skill" thing.
It's a choice we forget to make.  Volume dynamic, tempo dynamic, speed
dynamic will instantly make an average player or band appear pro.  The
finest guitarist I ever played with always mentioned "touch", how he
touched the strings.  We have that option too, in spades.  Also
switching between the vocal microphone and the amp sounds to provide
dynamics and color.

...So Iceman,I found as you and many who replied to this thread have found
that breath, touch, is what I use the most...that and the words "bring it
on down", "bring it on up"; fast and slow songs; solos that are meant to
groove and others meant to soar.

On a personal note, the last 8 years or so I've been based in the Missouri
Ozarks between Springfield, Kansas City and Lake of the Ozarks after about
15 years in Los Angeles.  We just made another move, this time to the
South East Florida area.  There are several worthy Harmonica players out
here, many I met at a Labor Day Harmonica "Blowout".  Even the president
of the Southern Florida Blues Society, Blues Bobby Weinberg is a Harmonica
player so I figure I couldn't go wrong.  Looking forward to meeting more
as time goes on and as some of you Northerners head South.

Enjoy,

Clay

--
*ToST Music site, Shows, Tours, Recordings, Rock & Roll/Blues/Harmonica
Adventures:

***For The Leadership Ranch, Low and High Ropes/challenge/team and personal
effectiveness courses:
http://www.leadershipranch.com

Clayton Goldstein
500 Lake Ave  #13