Re: [Harp-L] RIP Gary Primich

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared- \
gen/blogs/austin/music/entries/2007/09/24/ \
musician_gary_primich_dies.html

-tim

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael Rubin
<rubinmichael@...> wrote:

I am basing this email on a call from an Austin drummer friend of
mine.  He had no information on how or why Gary passed.

  Just two days ago Gary and I were talking.  He was the harp player
for The Mannish Boys before his solo career and he had copies on the
two albums.  He was going to meet me last Thursday to hand them to
me.  He flaked, we talked on Saturday, did not set up another
handoff date but suggested this week.  He seemed happy and
friendly.

  In 1993 I decided to move to Austin Texas.  A harp playing friend
of mine put on the first couple of Primich records and said to look
for Gary.  I could tell he was a great player.  I saw him within my
first month of moving to Austin and he was great.  I could tell he
was just going to get better and I remember telling him that he
would become one of the best of his generation.  He proceeded to do
just that.

  Gary put out multiple solo albums.  He toured the world, doing all
of his own booking and bandleading.  He taught at multiple
conventions and I took lessons from him at Elkins, Kerrville, SPAH
and privately.  I consistently told people that Gary was the
strongest player in Austin, save for James Cotton who either lives
in Austin or nearby Bastrop.

  Although he struggled with the pitfalls of the road, he recently
cleaned up and told me that he had found God.  There was definitely
a brighter, happier Gary in the last couple of years.

  Many times I would see Gary live and marvel at his ideas, tone,
phrasing and overall professionalism.  He was a musician's musician,
and I salute him.

  Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com