To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:19 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Gwen Foster

Dear Reeders,
                   I know this probably has limited appeal on this
list, and I know I've been pushing the same cart for years, but here is
yet another shameless promotion for the great Gwen Foster, a man who
coaxed more sounds out of the unamplified diatonic harmonica than
anybody before, or since (notice I say 'sounds', not 'notes')
                  This track, Foster's tour-de-force, in my listening
experience, has been unavailable for year (as far as I knew up till now)
but is available on CD now from:
http://bacm.users.btopenworld.com/CD-details7.html on the CD "THE VICTOR
LABEL Classic Old Time Music CD D 129"
                 The track is 'Black Pine Waltz', a tune I have also
heard from Doc Watson, recorded back in about 1929 I think.
                 You can listen to an Mp3 of it here.
                 Keep in mind, by the way, that this is a solo
performance, and that Foster is playing the guitar with racked harp.
                 Foster's technique beggars belief. No matter what
kind of harp player you are, he's well worth a listen.
                 Here's the url for the mp3:
http://www.juneberry78s.com/otmsampler/otmsampat194.html

Regards,
Rick Dempster