[Harp-L] RE: Gwen Foster, now Gwen Foster one of the greatest harp players ever

Thanks for the tip offs Dave!
All the best,
RD

>>> "Dave Payne Sr." <payneoutdoors@xxxxxxxxx> 25/09/2007 13:29 >>>
Honking Duck has some Gwen Foster. In fact, that's where I first heard
of him, was looking for some Clarence Ashley and thought, my God, who's
that playing harp. I don't know of any instance of him singing, he's
always paired with somebody like Clarence Ashley.
  When you listen to music from the 1920s and 1930s, you hear people
who are absolutely great, some of the greatest ever, but nobody's ever
heard of them. Gwen Foster is one of the greatest harp players ever.
I've played some of that high end straight harp blues like Gwen, I can't
get that signature bird-like vibrato like his though. Man, he bends
those high reeds like butter. Like Butter, y'all.

  Here are links to the Gwen Foster on Honking Duck. Just click to
listen:
  My Sweet Farmgirl is a good first Gwen Foster listen:
  http://honkingduck.com/rams/41d47f81e1d6f5f1813e8801b4636b94.ram

  Bay Rum Blues
http://honkingduck.com/rams/b08069800c285196842821847b54e87e.ram

Dave Payne Sr.