[Harp-L] Re: Playing thru the PA , question

Perfect timing on this topic. I play at a church with a large band about once a month. The band configuration changes everytime but is typically 1 electric guitar, 1-2 acoustic guitars, bass, drums, keyboard, lead singer, and backup singers (2-3typical, up to about 8 maximum). Its a very large auditorium and the system is pretty loud. I play straight into a vocal mic. I always bring my own mic (Fireball V, or a Peavey vocal mic). The problem is that I have a really hard time hearing myself. They have several monitors but with so many instruments, there is just too much in the monitors to hear myself. I work with the sound guy but when the band is cranking I just can't hear the harp.

  I noticed the guitar player last week brought his own monitor. His setup was an effects processor and some pedals which he ran into what was basically a small self-contained PA. It was shaped like a smaller PA speaker (maybe a 10" speaker and a horn) with a built in amplifier and inputs, and an XLR line out to run to the board. What a great idea! He sets this right in front of him, plugs in, and he can hear himself and has a balanced XLR to send to the board. No sound guy to argue with about the monitor level, and no one else in his personal monitor.

  Has anyone used something like this or can recommend something like this? Or perhaps another idea entirely.

  By the way, I'm not going to use a harp (guitar) amp. I have a Harpgear Double Trouble but it has too much crunch to be appropriate for this kind of music. I also have a 35W Ibanez acoustic amp with a mic input and unbalanced line out which I use at small gigs. It won't work for this application because it has no tone adjustments on the mic input, has too much high freq, and therefore it tends to feedback when turned up loud.

  Thanks,
  Jim McBride

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.