[Harp-L] Re: Old Standby, etc.

       The old Old Stanbys are awesome. New ones stink. The Old Standby was my favorite harp, I wish Hohner hadn't drug its good name down.
  For the Alabama Blues, it looks like an MS big river to me. Should be bascially the same as any other MS. This "Bends" harmonica sounds to me like a Hering in another package.

  There's not too much difference in the prewar Marine Band and the Prewar Old Standby, unless you get to the ones made in teh 1910s and the early 20s which had the really thin tin coverplates. I've got several keys in those, plus some Marine Bands. Somebody's gonna correct me probably, but the Old Standby and Marine Band had the same reedplates. The big difference was the Marine Band had the holes in the sides of the coverplate to change tone. When Jacob Hohner invented the Marine Band, he though those holes helped the coverplates vibrate, creating a new tone. The holes are what gives the MB its tone, block them and the Marine Band sounds like an Old Standby.

Dave Payne Sr.
Harmonicas and music lessons
P.O. Box 3822
Parkersburg WV 26103