[Harp-L] The Chromatic Sounds like a Machine

I have listen to and judged a few thousand harmonica players, and the harmonica never sounds like a machine to me. It is the most expressive of instruments, even played poorly.

Stevie is a wonderful player, but he is not the only one that can play with that sound any more than there is only one funky, bluesy, jazz saxophone player in the world. He is the one who did the work. So often I hear diatonic players come down on chromatic, with Stevie being the exception, but they don't play the instrument. If you are a virtuoso on chromatic and you still think it sounds like a machine, then that's something different!!

Remember too that the throat vibrato and wah-wah sounds, that everyone feels equals good tone and emotion, may not be the desired sound in jazz or classical music. Confusing musical styles with good harmonica playing may be a mistake. One does not hear wah-wah's in Bach, or for that matter many good pizzicato blues solos. This does not mean the music is not good or emotional or first rate.

In all my classical reviews I have never had a reviewer say the chromatic sounds like a machine. BUT my machine is a synth that plays in tune, has a very regular vibrato, can quantize, never makes a mistake or misses a rhythm. It can also play REAL FAST!! Hey, maybe I should play as good as the machine?

For my chromatic emotion - http://cdbaby.com/cd/bonfiglio2 -then play number 9, Thais Meditation

Harmonically yours,

Robert Bonfiglio
http://www.robertbonfiglio.com