Subject: [Harp-L] The Chromatic Sounds like a Machine

So well said, Robert.  After playing the fairly long snippet you  posted from
your Romances Cd.. Thais Meditation.... listening with my eyes  closed...yes
to the beautifully played, very 'emotional' and most assuredly  non-machine or
mechanical-like sound of your music..it was a rude awakening to  have the
clip skip to the next track.  Woke me out of my reverie.   Luckily I remembered I
already have that CD of yours  (among  several others)...so am now happily
listening to the entire CD...on  "repeat".

Most definitely a keeper for any chromatic (or other harmonica) enthusiast,
whether a classical musical fan or not.

Elizabeth

"Message: 4
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:56:45 -0400
From: Robert  Bonfiglio <bon@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I have listen to  and judged a few thousand harmonica players, and the
harmonica never  sounds like a machine to me.  It is the most
expressive of  instruments, even played poorly.

Stevie is a wonderful player, but he is  not the only one that can
play with that sound any more than there is  only one funky, bluesy,
jazz saxophone player in the  world.  He is the one who did the work.
So often I hear  diatonic players come down on chromatic, with Stevie
being the  exception, but they don't play the instrument.  If you are
a  virtuoso on chromatic and you still think it sounds like a machine,
then that's something different!!

Remember too that the throat  vibrato and wah-wah sounds, that
everyone feels equals good tone and  emotion, may not be the desired
sound in jazz or classical  music.  Confusing musical styles with good
harmonica playing may  be a mistake. One does not hear wah-wah's in
Bach, or for that matter  many good pizzicato blues solos.  This does
not mean the music is  not good or emotional or first rate.

In all my classical reviews I have  never had a reviewer say the
chromatic sounds like a machine.   BUT my machine is a synth that
plays in tune, has a very regular  vibrato, can quantize, never makes
a mistake or misses a rhythm.   It can also play REAL FAST!!  Hey,
maybe I should play as good as  the machine?

For my chromatic emotion -  http://cdbaby.com/cd/bonfiglio2  -then
play number 9, Thais  Meditation

Harmonically yours,

Robert  Bonfiglio