Re: [Harp-L] Playing Chromatics in all keys and the Paddy O'Brien

You don't need to "reverse" reedplates around to create a B/C or C#/D chromatic (or F#/G, as Farrell used to sell for Irish music). However, you may need to swap reedplates from two instruments, or retune plates.

For instance, to make a B/C, you could take a Bb chromatic (with Bb and B plates) and a C chromatic (with C and C# plates). Remove the C# plate from the C harp and replace it with the B plate from the Bb chromatic. You now have a harp where the note goes down a semitone when you press the slide button. If you prefer that the note go up (from B to C), just flip the slide over.

To make a C#/D, take a D chromatic (which is a low D) and a Tenor C chromatic, and use the C# plate from the C-harp to replace the D# plate on the D-harp. Again, if you prefer that the note go up instead of down when the slide is pressed, you need to flip the slider.

C#/D plays better chordally in the key of D than B/C, but B/C has a huge advantage for smooth scales and ornaments, as almost every note in the D major scale has a neighboring scale note on the same breath, making all the neighboring note ornaments possible  (cuts, rolls, triplets, crans, etc.). The same is true for the keys of G and A. The keys of D, A, and G play on a B/C the same way the keys of Eb, Bb, and Ab play on a C/C# chromatic, with very smooth scales.

One problem with a standard B/C is that it's too high pitched, especially if you're playing fiddle tunes. You need something that goes down to G below middle C. If you take an E harmonica and tune E up to F#, and the rest of the blow notes and draw notes as of your creating a Low B chromatic that starts on Hole 3, you'll have a B/C instrument that matches fiddle range.

A further refinement is to get rid of the duplicated blow note, like C next to C. Tune the first C down 3 semitones (to A), and do the same thing for the corresponding notes on the other reedplate, and you'll add two more "choice notes" (notes that can be played as blow or draw) and make your scales even smoother.

Winslow

Mox GOWLAND <mox.g@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<stuff about two-row B/C accordion snipped>accordion
 The only possible equivalent on the chromatic harmonica would be the reversing the piston on a "B" (C/B) or even better a C# (D/C#) chromatic so that the lower notes sound when the said piston is pressed in.

I believe that Brendan Power, amongst others, has worked on this possibility, whether after hearing some of the recent melodeon players who also "reverse" the traditional reed plate layout, or not, is in my case mere speculation.

As to playing in three consecutive keys (G, D & A) I could suggest a Melody tuned harmonica i.e. (Paddy 3 blow Smokey 5 draw with C as the lowest note) or a circular tuned D. With both of these instruments a suite of Reels such as ;

Off to California (G), Boys of Bluehill (D) & Red Haired Boy (A) are fairly straight forward, though the ornamantation is somewhat limited. I you want to see the Tab/Music let me know & I'll post it.

Hope this helps
Mox