RE: [Harp-L] Playing Chromatics in all keys

I must agree with Ken (see below). I am a part time unpaid harp and guitar
player who plays for the pure joy of it. It seems to me that modern blues
(and rock for that matter) has been possessed with the "Monster Player"
complex. Personally (and probably because of my skill level) I think less is
more. Less notes with more feeling.

Along with that, if I want to play in Gm I play a Gm (Cm) harmonica. I have
nothing to prove. The notes fall in good places and I can play mostly by
feel. Having played a bit with third position, I find the minor harps easier
to play and have more to offer. Yet there seems to be a common opinion that
if you are a real musician you should play on as few harmonicas as possible
and play with as many positions as possible.

I am all for learning new techniques and improving my skills. I hope I am
always improving. But I don't see a need to play every key on my C diatonic.
I could see practicing this to work on my bends but why do it when I am in
front of an audience and want to make music.

I want to have fun, make music and give the audience a good time. Most music
that people enjoy is basic. Let's call it the Louie, Louie principle. Keep
it simple!

Derwood

<Since becoming acquainted with Harp-L of course I now realise that "Real
<Players" must play in any key on a ten hole blues harp.

From: Ken Deifik <kenneth.d@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

<None of the professional diatonic harmonica players on Harp-l have said
<this, to my knowledge, whether they can do it or not.

<The ability to play in all keys on a diatonic is a skill in its
<infancy.  Some people are doing it brilliantly, some will do it brilliantly
<in a few years.  It's a great new direction for diatonic.

<But most of the diatonic players I'm acquainted with, both on this list and
<off, are kibbitzing this remarkable development.  I am doing so myself.

<My own approach to music, on harmonica at least, is to develop new
<expressive tools on the diatonic using pretty much the "blues approach"
<that developed between the early part of the last century and the early
<1950's.  Hopefully my style is nothing like anyone else's, but hopefully
<the marvelously funky and deep feeling of the blues comes through in every
<note.