Re: [Harp-L] Playing Chromatics in all keys and the Paddy O'Brienmethod

Howard is a monster on the instrument. He has taken the technique to
a legitimate sound of his own.

*I should be careful if Howard reads this blog. Howard, if you're reading
this, I was definitely incredulous about what you were doing when I first
heard you. I and others who play chromatic questioned your pitch, etc. We
considered the technique a novelty even if impressive. Hell, we questioned
your sanity! But, I have two Bela Fleck albums with you on them so, I guess
I got over that.*

Now for the rest of us mortals. I've wondered if maintaining good pitch and
intonation is a signiifcant issue in general amongst the players attempting
the technique. I have not heard enough who are using it to get a feel for
this. That is why I was asking about it. I could imagine that there may be
some train wrecks happening out there now and then.

For me doing clean "on pitch" bends is a challenge even playing traditional
blues harp techniques. I haven't been able to do too many overblows without
nearly destroying my instrument. (Probably poor technique)

Because of my own experience, I have questioned the technique and it's value
in view of the tremendous effort it takes to make the instrument do
something it was not designed to do. The challenge is tempting,
however, plus I can't duplicate that unique sound on the chromatic.

Regards,

GP

OK Rick, Your turn!