[Harp-L] Re: Current Hohner reeds

Reed failure is mostly caused by player technique and poor resonance. Bending notes to pitch (it sounds better anyway) instead of the floor of the bend (very flat- sounds bad) will help make most reeds last a very long time.

The latest Hohner reeds are softer and theoretically more durable. The quality control is as good or better as any of them. They've fixed a lot of problems they had. But, this softer brass also causes them to flex differently. The flex area affects the limits of what I can achieve with tone, volume, response, and tuning stability. I think they play well stock, in fact a lot of the Marine Bands will OB right out of the box. But they won't give me what I want from them when modified. The older, harder-brass reeds are a lot more work.... but the end result is a harp that feels, sounds, and plays just a little bit better for what I need it to do.

JS