Re: [Harp-L] B-Bb-Dm

Get out your Circle of Fifths that includes the relative minors in an inner
circle:

One way to solve this is by using the 1st & 2nd Positions of the diatonic
harmonica using the Circle of Fifths and going to the relative minors of those
"positions."   Which means simply using the same notes, but starting on the 6th
note of the major scale to play the relative minor scale.

Dm is the relative minor of F on the C harp. F is 12th Position.   Same notes
as key of C plus Bb.
On a Bb harp the key of F would be 2nd position and Dm uses the same notes as
key of F starting on the note D.
So here -- Dm -- you want to play your Dm in 12th position or 2nd. On C harp
it is 12th; on Bb it is 2nd.

The C harp will indeed play in Am (A minor) because the A minor scale is
simply the C scale, but starting on the A instead of the C.
C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
                 a b c d e f g a

The relative minor of C is based on the 6th note: the A.

So by play the key of C and the key of A minor on a C harp you are merely
playing the same notes.

G on a C harp is second position. The 6th note of the G scale is E. The
relative minor of G is E minor. So using the same notes of the G scale, you get an
E minor scale starting with the E.
G A B C D E F# G
1 2 3 4 5 6 7   8
                 e f# g a b c d e

This may be a mite confusing because the positions I'm pointing to yield a
major scale.

However, if you want a D dorian mode, this is 3rd position and different
animal.

If all this is confusing, get yourself a copy of the "C Harmonica Book" by
James Major published by Mel Bay.   At a list price of $7.95, it is the best 8
bucks you ever spent and will explain everything I talked about above and give
you a FREE Circle of Fifths and give you graphic illustrations of the main
positions 1-6 and 12th. (There are 12 books, one for each key. Probably the
greatest reference set since Steve Baker's "The Harp Handbook.")

Hope this helps.
Phil Lloyd