Re: [Harp-L] H2 Zoom recorder experience with Loud music?

I've also had excellent results with the H4 (no experience with the H2, but I would suspect it would be at least as nice a recording tool as the H4)...  as far as clipping, I have had some throw away recordings because of high levels.  those were both using the integrated mics and due to bad placement of the Zoom on my part.  I've made many excellent recordings with the zoom, both direct through our preamp that our mic is connected to (we use a one mic setup), so the sound comes out of us, into our mic, into the preamp, one channel goes to the PA speakers, the other to the Zoom, and field recordings using the integrated mics both using the autogain feature, and set the input to Low.  I do plan on trying some field recordings with a pair of condenser mics, I expect that will be even better than the integrated mics. I bought a 2GB disk, prefer to record at 44.1Mhz (wav), I try to keep the recording level low and with no effects, as all that detail can be taken care of with Audacity and/or Roxio after the files are on your PC.  overall, the Zoom H4 has been an excellent investment and I haven't even really used the multi track recording features yet. the band I'm with just recently released a CD that was recorded 100% on the zoom at live shows throughout 2007.

Jim.
www.mcmule.com

>>> Special20 <special20harp@xxxxxxxxx> 4/7/2008 7:13 AM >>>
Dennis, I've owned the H4 for nearly two years with excellent results.
 Last night I used it to record a blues jam at a local club.  I just
set it on a table, pressed "record" twice, and let it go.  The
recording was very good.  I've never used the H2 so I cannot comment
directly that the H4 is worth the extra money, but I'm certainly happy
with mine.

I do think the H4's multi-tracking abilities (4 tracks, recording two
at a time) make it worth every cent (and then some).

Last night I had the recording format set to MP3 at 192, using the
built-in stereo mics.  I was on battery power (2 x AA), which will
last for more than 3 hours of continuous recording.  For live band
recording I use the "Low" setting on the Mic Gain switch, and set the
levels to -12 db. This gives me a fairly compressed recording with no
clipping.  I used the USB cable to upload to my PC when I got home,
and after a few minutes of editing I had a very nice CD of the jam.

-Spec20