[Harp-L] Info from Steve Baker on new Marine Band reeds

I wrote The Legend himself, Steve Baker, and asked him about the Marine Band reeds specifically.

He said they changed the alloy about 10 years ago, because the old reeds contained a small amount of lead and they switched to the same alloy they used in the chromatics. A couple of years ago, Hohner introduced a new reed profile that was meant to increase reed life. Steve says it was "urgently necessary" and he says reed life is up by 100 percent. Steve says the current reedplate is superior to the ones from the 1990s and, in Steve's opinion, is the best he's played since he started in the 1960s. He says the only plates he's seen that were comparable were mint-condition ones from the 1950s.
More on his point from the Harpchat post (the one in German), he says the only reeds cut in China are, basically, the low-price stuff that says "Made in China" on it.

I've been a big fan of the Marine Band for 25 years. I noticed no difference when they changed the alloy, just the profile.  It's like the Coca-Cola of harmonicas... folks might have said they liked the new Coke formula better in the blind test, but when they know the old formula has changed, they get riled.

Just thought I'd pass that on... from the man himself.

Dave
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com