Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic layout generator -- solo tuned

In a message dated 4/8/2008 3:21:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Phil  wrote:
> Is there a chromatic layout generator somewhere on the  web.
>
> The datonic generator is great. But is there one  somewhere for
> chromes?

I'm sorry, what's the difference?

There really is no difference but I was attacked bitterly recently for
pointing out that I thought the transition to the chromatic from the diatonic  was
easy because holes 4-7 are repeated on the chromatic.

Most  harmonicas are essentially
diatonic, with different ways of achieving the  notes not in
the "native" tuning (bends, overbends, valves, slide).
Diatonic merely means the  notes in a minor or major  scale.

Isn't a "normal chrom" just a diatonic in solo tuning?
Not true because a "normal diatonic" in C is usually construed to mean  a
layout of CEGCEGCEG with the blow draw pattern like the chrome only in the
middle octave.

Whereas a solo tuned chrome is
CEGCCEGCCEGC

I think this double C is why many people have trouble with the chrome.  They
expect it to be like the bluesharp's first octave with lots of bends.

Would  this
chrom layout generator show two scales for slide in/slide out notes,
specific to the design?
Actually, the chrome layout could get by with simply showing the note  layout
with the button-out. Most people (even harmonica players) could figure  out
that the button raises the pitch a half-step.

-tim

But thanks for pointing this out, Tim. I can look at a keyboard and  figure
out what the triad (root, third, fifth) for any given (or not given)  harmonica
-- but I was looking for something that I could glance at without  having to
get up and walk into the room with the piano.

Plus, this chrome generator might help out all those folks who have  such a
tough time making the switch -- and mind you, I'm not saying they should  -- or
adding chrome to their skillset.

Keep on harping.Hope this clears up any lose questions.
Phil Lloyd
CHP