Re: Subject: [Harp-L] "Passion" in music

> PPS.  This might not be as 'sexy' as Jimi Hendrix, but if I could play
even
> one passage with as much passion as gloriously as Midori Goto does here
I'd
> be a happy camper....
>
> _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW9So5ky-38_
> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW9So5ky-38)
>
> _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX7z3mryOOs_
> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX7z3mryOOs)

My cello teacher, Rita Tas, had much in the way of disdain for this kind of
performance, as technically proficient as she is. She used the example of
the well-known cellist, Gregor Piatigorsky, who was known to have "thrown
his cello bow into the air" during performances. She felt that all the
"passion", conveyed in physical jerks, pained facial expressions and the
like, was merely a kind of "showmanship" that didn't belong, and that
distracted from the music. I tend to agree, in part, but also believe that
passion belongs in a performance, if is not seen as contrived, perfunctory,
or simply used as a menial ploy to "impress" the audience, in lieu of a
shortage in the skills of execution. I do think it tends, with some audience
members, to give the performer "a leg up" on those who use less physically
demonstrative methods.

Me, I wouldn't feel bad if I played as stiff as a board, if the music I
produced was moving, and I felt it. I think if YOU feel the music, someone
else will, physical showmanship (showpersonship?) aside. But on the other
hand, if you REALLY feel the music, many times it comes out in body
movements. It's just that the jury's out on who "adds to it" by augmenting
the physical side with a little "extra passion", for the sake of show.

I tend to think that some performers, who were coached by their parents from
an early age, were probably also coached to "put on a good show", just as
the little girls who are shoved into the competitive modeling arena by their
"well-meaning" but dominating and driven parents. Every little advantage is
important, to the parents who are trying to live out their own lives through
the kids.

Anyway,,not to take away from the music, but I'm not entirely impressed with
the show. In a word, it appears "affected". But it's a piece that's been
killed to death many times over, as a demonstration of one's ability to
"emote".

I'm not proposing any legislation here, by the way,,,

BL